Monday, March 20, 2017

Of Knots & Loose Ends

Knots & Loose Ends, mixed media collage

An inevitable tension we've all experienced - feeling in knots, at loose ends. Do we mull it over more or act; how do we protect ourselves while revealing vulnerabilities.

Was not thinking these thoughts as I was creating this! Often a piece is made to explore combinations of materials - I like this and I like that - how can I put them together in an interesting way.

Knots & Loose Ends, mixed media collage, detail-1


I love to stitch. It's touchable mark-making. That's my excuse to bliss out and get lost in a rhythmic poke and pull. And then I have a souvenir full of color and texture.

But it's supposed to mean something, right? or at least have a point of departure for wondering minds. I like that last part - I don't want to play 'Gotcha' where the viewer either "gets it" like an in-joke or not. My intention is more a nudge or a spark for one to explore their own imagination.

Here it occurred to me that there's some tension and energy amongst the threads - some dangling loose, others tightly coiled, and still others just trying to cover ground. Much like our thoughts.

Plan to list in my shop at some point. If you'd like to see other pieces, please come by:
     www.etsy.com/shop/PegasaurusArt
     www.amazon.com/handmade/PegasaurusArt