Friday, June 9, 2017

Mod About You

Mod Mad, mixed media artists book, detail-a

For all its sleekness, Mid-Century Modern lends itself well to folk art. I love all those imaginative patterns -- no getting hung up on the strictly figurative. Asymmetry and uneven shapes are perfectly acceptable company to keep.

So I drew up my own shapes (and stamps, see below) and cut them out of decorative printed paper. For the graphic line work I used stitch in heavier embroidery thread. My canvas was lightly paint scraped dictionary pages (coincidentally Swedish! a nod to the Scandinavian influence) layered on bright synthetic fabric. Buttons were sewn on to tie them together - and to delight all those touchy-feely types.

Mod Mad, mixed media artists book, detail-c

The size is 6" x 8" closed, and 24" wide when fully stretched. The covers are chipboard sheathed in cream and brown polka dot fabric. Nice and sturdy too so the book can be displayed upright.

Mod Mad, mixed media artists book, detail-e
I must say I am quite tickled about the stamps I made. It tells me I need to really explore this avenue further.

This is now available in my Etsy shop: https://etsy.com/shop/PegasaurusArt