Monday, July 24, 2017

Sunny Mum!

Sunny Mum!, textile collage

Went all out when I happened upon a plastic chrysanthemum on the roadside. Would this work for "nature printing"? Well, kinda'. Using yellow acrylic paint and pressing it onto fabric and also onto paper did make a halo of marks - bright, blobby ones, just not very identifiable. So I pencil sketched the petal pattern as a guide for free-motion machine stitching. I have to say I really like this loose sketchy style. It's me; I'm sketchy.

Sunny Mum!, textile collage, detail-a

To carry on this casual look, especially as this print was done on a tea-stained muslin scrap, I layered it on top of coffee-stained yellow fabric squares (they began eye-squintingly bright). Similarly I weathered the blue plaid fabric - a little walnut stain, a little 120 grit. But the embroidery floss and cotton perles maintained their original hues.

Sunny Mum!, textile collage, detail-b

As this is roughly 8'1/2" x 8-1/2", it could technically be framed in a standard square frame but I felt it would display quite well hanging from a stick, a painted and sanded stick. It carries on that rustic flavor.

This is now available in my Etsy shop: https//:etsy.com/shop/PegasaurusArt.